Incoherent Mumbling
Friday, May 12, 2006
  Poor Ringo

If you read my wife's blog, you probably read about Beth and the Beatles.
To recap, we have a set of the fab four on magnets as they cross abbey road. Beth can name them. Well, most of them. Paul, George and John. She doesn't recognize Ringo. That guy has always been neglected.

According to Steve Smith:"Before Ringo, drum stars were measured by their soloing ability and virtuosity. Ringo's popularity brought forth a new paradigm in how the public saw drummers. We started to see the drummer as an equal participant in the compositional aspect. One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song."

Maybe that first part is true. I don't really know as I am not a drummer. But the part about the signature drum lines definitely is true.

Ringo is the Beatle that gets ignored, he didn't write as many songs and John, Paul and George, and his post-Beatles career did not shine as the others' did. He showed up, worked hard to ... well maybe not worked hard, but did his part to make Beatles music what it is. In the process he shaped pop drumming forever.

I guess I empathize because I often feel like the one ignored. I am not the teacher's pet, no one calls me their favorite student. I was involved in a band once. I was the bass player. I added nothing aside from low rumbly noises. I was involved in a discussion group that met early tuesday mornings. I tried to participate, but usually one person dominated the discussion with the leader. Usually the same person. The teacher's pet. The Johns and Pauls.

Here is to us Ringos, who show up everyday and do our part as best we can.

So, Ringo, thanks for showing up. Beth and I will keep practicing until you are distinguishable from the rest. 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is a boring blog. Navigate away, or hit the next blog button QUICK!!! You will die of boredom, or possibly pancreatic cancer. My wife says I mumble.

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

Je suis frais.

Old Junk
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / November 2007 / September 2008 / October 2008 / March 2009 /