Incoherent Mumbling
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
  I'm nobody

Emily Dickinson once wrote:
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us -- don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!

I am no English major, but it seems to me that she is saying she likes anonymity. The quiet life, as it were.

I have always wanted to be a somebody. The guy who invented the perfect renewable energy source, the byproduct of which is fat-free, great tasting tootsie rolls and mountain dew. Or the guy who won the nobel prize in physics & chemistry for discovering element 117 in a new fusion reaction and renaming elements 112 through 118 because unun is a stupid begining to any word. This, of course, takes place after Jen wins the newberry medal -- I was taking care of the kids while she wrote the book. A little story-time, a little experimental nuclear fusion...

Ever heard of Lise Meitner? No? I thought not. She, using data collected by Otto Hahn and in collaberation with Otto Robert Frisch, came up with the idea of nuclear fission. She did this as an expatriate Jew living in Sweden. She recieved no recognition for this in her lifetime. She just did the best she could with what had been given her.

I pray that I can do the same without care for fame and admiration of the masses. And seriously, someone must rename those elements, ununseptium, anyone? 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is a boring blog. Navigate away, or hit the next blog button QUICK!!! You will die of boredom, or possibly pancreatic cancer. My wife says I mumble.

Name:
Location: Oregon, United States

Je suis frais.

Old Junk
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / November 2007 / September 2008 / October 2008 / March 2009 /